Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Foam Printing with Gelli Plate

While prowling Michaels the other day, I came across these neat fun foam kits.


They were, as fun foam usually is, in the kid's aisle, but I have no clue how children use these- to me, they scream, "printing plates," so I snatched up two of the kits.


Inside the kit are two cut fun foam sheets and four uncut sheets. The sheets measure 8 1/2" x 11 1/2", the largest I've found so far with designs cut into them. The two sheets in the photo above are from two different sets. The really cool thing about them is that they are self-adhesive!


I peeled off the backing and stuck them to a couple of the plain sheets from the kits. Then it was time to play- I knew these would work beautifully with my GelliArts printing plate!

I inked up the first fun foam plate with Hansa Yellow Medium acrylic paint and set it aside.


Working quickly so the paint wouldn't dry too soon, I then inked my gel plate with magenta.


I gently mushed the fun foam plate and the gel plate together...


 ... and just as gently- so as not to smudge the pattern- peeled them apart...


Then it was time to print. Using a sheet of white copy paper, I pulled my first print.


There was quite a bit of paint left on the gel plate, so using another sheet of paper, I took a "ghost print".


Lovely the way the paints blend on the plate, isn't it?

Then to be sure I didn't waste any paint that might still be on my fun foam plate, I pressed it once more into the gel plate.


Lots of workable paint! I got one more print.



Leaving the faint residue of paint on the gel plate, I changed to another color...



... some deep pthalo blue. I reinked my fun foam plate with more yellow...


... pressed the two plates together gently and then peeled them apart...


... and took a print.


I once more pressed the foam plate into the gel plate...


... and took another print.


I switched back to the magenta, leaving the blue/yellow paint residue on the plate...


... reinked the foam plate with more yellow...


... and pressed the plates together...


I got a great print, with all three of the colors mixing on the plate.


And finally, took one more ghost print to clean my gel plate.


Until next time, happy creating!
Post a Comment