Monday, January 16, 2012

New Year, New Ideas

I had a bit of a revelation over the holidays and it was triggered by the simplest thing- a pile of stocking-stuffers that needed to be wrapped.

Reaching for the 44" roll of wrapping paper to wrap items less than 3" in diameter, my heart sank. I do this every year, inflict these great, huge rolls of commercial wrapping paper onto the tiny little doo-dads that go into the stockings, and every year I wind up wasting paper. For a woman obsessed with all types of paper, it's sickening.

Suddenly I flashed on the dozens of deli papers I'd been covering with Stacked Journaling all year long, and realized that they offered the perfect solution- I have papers of all sizes, everything from 7"x10" up to 18"x18", so there was unlikely to be much (if any) waste. And they were all hand-decorated; what could be more perfect?

It was a lot of fun wrapping all those little gifts in my own paper and when I was finished, I had a neat little pile of colorful presents, waiting to get stuffed into the stockings. That's when it struck me- seeing the stack of gifts made me realize that those Stacked Journaling papers look fabulous in 3-D.

I'm a mixed-media artist- even though I work with many different mediums and grounds, my work is, essentially, 2-D. I've never sculpted, never even thought much about creating work that has nothing to do with wall hangings (except for a brief foray a few months ago), but all at once, I saw possibilities in that pile of colorful paper.

So I've begun very preliminary tests, experimenting with my papers. I have no idea where this might lead me- maybe to a dead end, that happens sometimes- but I wanted to document these early experiments here on my blog just in case I want to look back in a couple of years and trace the beginnings of a new idea.






Yes, right now they're just wadded up balls of paper that have been stiffened with Paverpol and nibbled into with sharp scissors. But something about the cross-section peeks into the painted paper fascinates me. This requires more study.

Create experimentally!
- Judi

Post a Comment